Friday, June 12, 2009

"I'm Not a Crook!"

June 12, 2009
After a long time waiting, I finally got to go to the Richard Nixon Library and Museum. I learned a lot that day. Mostly about the years that he ran for Vice President and President. I'm embarrassed to say, but I never knew he was Vice President during the Eisenhower administration. (Keep in mind this was 1953-1960 and I was not even born until 1983). Also, keep in mind that when they taught this in school, they taught you who the presidents were and not usually who the vice presidents were.




Although Nixon did not have a good reputation with his finances for money laundering, tax audits, and secret campaign funds, he was one of the first vice presidents to lead a lot of international goodwill/foreign trips to support American policies.



The Watergate scandal was AWESOME, ok maybe not awesome, but definitely something to know about. For those who don't know, it is the indictment and conviction of several of Nixon's closest advisers and resignation as President. That's right, the only resignation of a Unites States President ever. BUSTED! The scandal was the arrest of five men for breaking into the Democratic National headquarters at the Watergate Office building in D.C. Nixon and his staff tried to cover up the break-in, and especially its connection with the White House right after it occurred. After a couple of years of evidence against the president built up, it was found that their had been tape recordings of the conversations. The tapes revealed that he had obstructed justice and attempted to cover up the break-in. AWESOME! I almost couldn't believe that all this happened. It is crazy! It really makes you wonder what is going on right now in our administration. If this is how crazy it was in the early 1970's before blackberry's and iPhone's, it really makes you wonder what on earth is happening right now.



Don't get me wrong, Nixon was actually a great president who did make good change in the U.S. But what fun would it be to write about the good stuff, the juicy stuff is way better. Here are some pictures from our day at the museum.








This was impressive, we were able to walk through his Marine One helicopter. This was the actual helicopter he used when he resigned from the White House in 1974. No photos could be taken inside the helicopter because it "could" pose a threat to our national security.


Good Luck Keepin' Up With Us~ The Joneses

2 comments:

  1. I/we've been there many times...events, field trips...etc. I even went to his funeral in Jan 94 or 95, I forget, anyways, it was a very cold and dreary day and as soon as the funeral procession came around the corner, it started to pour rain,thunder and lightning...it was kinda weird. Even though I never liked him, I figured this is history and I live down the street so...there you have it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome!
    I loved it for history and only the history.

    ReplyDelete